Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-V8 Radiator Size and Angle Issues/Questions, Calling all 914 v8 Guys
wallys914
post Mar 18 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #1

In life you don't get what you want, you get what you negoia

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,631
Region Association: Southern California

Im trying to Figure out if an extra radiator i have will work for my V8 conversion. It is at an 35-45 degree angle to fit under the hood, is that to much?

It's a 30x18 dual core, I thought it would fit but guess not. What size are the renegade ones? They look raked out when the are installed as well.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 29)
BRAVE_HELIOS
post May 30 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #21

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 18 2009, 09:42 PM) *

Renegades setup was the best money I have spent on my v8 to date. I highly recommend it & them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I really looked for quite a while but by the time you get all the pieces. You are going to spend close to that if not more. It is everything you need in one package. You can do it cheaper if you are resourceful. I tried or at least looked before spending the money. After my issues at last years WCR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Believe me I was wishing I had just ponied up the dough then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I keep seeing that the Renegade setup is the beat way to go but NO ONE ever divulges as to the details of the setup such as how many rows/cores; is it a double or triple pass radiator etc...

Did y'all have to sign your souls to these folks?

Anyone have these details?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 30 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #22

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 30 2018, 12:17 PM) *

Renegades setup was the best money I have spent on my v8 to date. I highly recommend it & them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I really looked for quite a while but by the time you get all the pieces. You are going to spend close to that if not more. It is everything you need in one package. You can do it cheaper if you are resourceful. I tried or at least looked before spending the money. After my issues at last years WCR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Believe me I was wishing I had just ponied up the dough then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I keep seeing that the Renegade setup is the beat way to go but NO ONE ever divulges as to the details of the setup such as how many rows/cores; is it a double or triple pass radiator etc...

Thanks!

AFAIK Its a dual core double pass custom radiator they have made combined with the appropriate bleeding system and good shrouding.

I've been toying with the idea of making a small displacement radiator system for the 914 since Rennegades is overkill and pricey for anything v6 and smaller.
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 30 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #23

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

From Big Cat Bob, not me, Bob B but this is the same set up I have and I believe this is the Renegade set up. My set up came in a car I bought and the PO said it was a Renegade set up. When I removed it from the 74 car it was printed Ron Davis Racing

“Not a good picture but this is a Double pass 16X28 Ron Davis with 2 16" Spal fans. I also have a SPAL pwm fan controller, It has programmable presets for the fans. You start with one fan at 1/2 speed and fan speed increases with tempeture. When the fan reaches full speed and the tempeture increases 10 degree more the second fan comes on at full speed also.
Bob”

Are you still screwing with your radiator? This has been going on for a long time.

Bob B

+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post May 30 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 30 2018, 01:24 PM) *

Thanks!

AFAIK Its a dual core double pass custom radiator they have made combined with the appropriate bleeding system and good shrouding.

I've been toying with the idea of making a small displacement radiator system for the 914 since Rennegades is overkill and pricey for anything v6 and smaller.

Good to know!

Now, do you know whether a 2 row double pass radiator cools more efficiently than a 4 row cross flow unit?

I have a two row cross flow Griffin unit in my car and on an 85 degree day, it will creep past 200 degrees. This is on a mildly tuned 350 with no T-stat installed (around 300HP).
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post May 30 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 30 2018, 02:11 PM) *

Thanks!

Good to know!

Now, do you know whether a 2 row double pass radiator cools more efficiently than a 4 row cross flow unit?

I have a two row cross flow Griffin unit in my car and on an 85 degree day, it will creep past 200 degrees. This is on a mildly tuned 350 with no T-stat installed (around 300HP).

Indeed; it has been going on for a long time. My last attempt was to add an oil cooler which helped but during a hot day (a few days ago), that dang temp came up past 200 again so now I have resigned myself to go either 4 row cross flow or 2 row double or triple pass rad. That's what I am trying to figure out!!
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 30 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 30 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Thanks!

Good to know!

Indeed; it has been going on for a long time. My last attempt was to add an oil cooler which helped but during a hot day (a few days ago), that dang temp came up past 200 again so now I have resigned myself to go either 4 row cross flow or 2 row double or triple pass rad. That's what I am trying to figure out!!

I just read that thread. I'd like to see a pic of the expansion tank from the side and bottom plus a few more from different angles. I's difficult to see where some of those hoses travel in your pic. Post it back on your thread so we don't hijack this one; too much anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post May 31 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 30 2018, 05:35 PM) *

Thanks!

Good to know!

I just read that thread. I'd like to see a pic of the expansion tank from the side and bottom plus a few more from different angles. I's difficult to see where some of those hoses travel in your pic. Post it back on your thread so we don't hijack this one; too much anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Can do. Are you looking to see how I have things routed to replicate for yourself or to verify I have things plumbed correctly? I am pretty sure I followed all of the routing recommendations correctly!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 31 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #28

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Mar 18 2009, 08:52 PM) *

Renegade's setup is $1K. I have around $600 in my setup with 525HP that I beat the hell out of on the track and don't over heat. If he already has the radiator and it appears to be more than sufficient, he is most of the way there IMHO.

Your cooling will be a little different I believe due to your tube frame, you have a lot more exhaust for the hot air to escape.

+Quote Post
76-914
post May 31 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #29

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 31 2018, 07:26 AM) *

Thanks!

Good to know!

Can do. Are you looking to see how I have things routed to replicate for yourself or to verify I have things plumbed correctly? I am pretty sure I followed all of the routing recommendations correctly!

To verify!
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post May 31 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 31 2018, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 31 2018, 07:26 AM) *

Thanks!

Good to know!

To verify!

I see!

Go here for a schematic and pics of what I did.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...90647&st=60

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:41 AM